home | lumbar puncture page | epidural sprotte | insulated sprotte | spinal sprotte | reusable LP needles
Carson and Serpell: 20G Sprotte needle transduces CSF pressure accurately in under one minute. Displays flow rate of 2ml/min.
Engelhardt, Oheim and Neundorfer: verification of PLPS being reduced by a factor of 10 (with a Sprotte needle). Introduction of atraumatic lumbar punctures in neurology.
Jager H, Schimrigk K, Haas A.: factor of 10 reduction of PLPS confirmed in random double-blind study.
Braune and Huffman: factor of 10 reduction of PLPS confirmed in second double blind study.
Ohman, Ernerudh, Forsberg, Roberg and Vrethem: In the determination of CSF IgM by Lumbar Puncture, the inner wall is shown to be contaminated by the action of a Quincke needle penetrating the tissue. Ohman et al determine that use of a Sprotte needle whose conical tip displaces the tissue pressure from the lateral opening eliminates such contamination, thereby increasing the meaningfulness of CPS diagnostics for MS and infections.
1. Braune HJ, Huffman G. A prospective double-blind clinical trial, comparing the sharp Quincke needle (22G) with an "atraumatic" needle (22G) in the induction of post lumbar puncture headache. acta neurol scand 1992;86:50-54
2. Brockman K: The Post-Lumbar Puncture Syrndrome related to the Shape of the Lumbar Puncture Needle Point. akt. Neurol. 1990;17:190-193
3. Carson D , Serpell M. Choosing the best needle for diagnostic lumbar puncture. neurology 1996;47:33-37
4. Engelhardt A, Oheim S, Neundorfer B. Post -lumbar puncture headache: experiences with Sprotte's Atraumatic needle. Cephalagia 1992;12:259
5. Jager H, Schimrigk K, Haas A. Post Lumbar Puncture Headache-Prevention by Means of an Atraumatic Needle. akt neurol. 1991;18:61-64
6. Ohman S, Ernerudh J, Forsberg P, Roberg M, Vrethem M: Lower values for immunoglobulin M in Cerebrospinal fluid when sampled with an atraumatic Sprotte needle compared with conventional lumbar puncture ann clin biochem. 1995;32:210-212
home | top | back | epidural sprotte | insulated sprotte | nerve stimulator